GAP map

Tuesday, 26 February 2008

The Great Flood

"Teaching" today was fun! My first class was at 10.45, and it was a P.E. class. So we went to the ice skating rink next to the school, and spent 30 minutes there! My next class was a 2nd grade class, where they had to, again, draw a poster of me, after asking what I liked. The third class was Switzliza (I think that's how you spell it), and that is a kind of after school care for kids that don't have any more classes for the day. We, again, went ice skating. Both times I decided against making a fool of myself, as the kids can skate as well as they can walk! My fourth and final class of the day was given to Hugh as his host brother was in that class, and they have to take the bus home together. It was a very cruisy Tuesday (Hugh and I have Mondays off. Iwana is very excited because she is going to show me off to her classes on this coming Monday. She teaches Polish at the local high school).

So because I finished at 1.30, I came home and did some laundry. What Iwana forgot to tell me when giving me the rundown on the washing machine was that it is essential to put the pipe for the water into the bathtub. When Iwana and Suzie came home later in the afternoon, we all got a big fright when Suzie discovered the swimming pool in the bathroom. I assured Iwana that I would clean it all up on my own, as it was my mess, but she gladly decided to give a hand when the man in the flat below came upstairs and mentioned that there was a bit of dripping coming from his roof! (I really wanted to know Iwanas excuse, as he was off quickly, and I couldn't understand a word they said, but I decided it was for the best not to.)

After the whole incident was over, Iwana took the words right out of my mouth and exclaimed "at least the floor is clean now!", and we had a good giggle over a cup of tea.

Today also brought Magda's English tutor, Paul (I think). He spoke English very well, as I would imagine you would have to to tutor it, and also commented that New Zealand accents are much more clear then the Australian accent, as we actually pronounce our words and don't just run all the syllables together.

I have my first 8am start tomorrow, so I shall be off.

P.S. Comments are always appreciated

*ryan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switzliza is actually świetlica :)

good luck with your Polish adventure



Pawel

Nicola said...

Ryan I can just imagine you flooding the place. Glad you got it cleaned up OK. Also glad to here you are settleing in and having a great time. p.s. The guinea pig has had her three babies.